What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy or Physical Therapy is a natural way of helping our bodies move better, perform better and feel better. Physiotherapy is a very broad area of practice. In our setting we focus on orthopaedic, neurological and vestibular conditions.
What can I expect during my treatment?
In our setting you can expect: manual therapy (joint, nerve or soft tissue mobilization and manipulation), exercise based therapy (functional exercises usually involving your body weight), Home exercise plan (additional exercises are assigned to better prepare you for the clinical work), anti inflammatory and/or pain management modalities such as cold laser, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, heat, cold therapy.
How should I prepare for my Initial Assessment?
- After you schedule your first visit you will receive an email with a link to our online Intake Form. Please take 5mins to complete it so we have time to review it before you arrive.
- Please bring with you any diagnostic reports, tests, imaging, and/or requisition/referral forms related to your concern. We may need to make a copy to keep in your file.
- Wear something comfortable and easy to move around in. We may have you doing some exercises right away.
- If you have extended health insurance, check that you are aware of the details of your plan/policy. If you would like us to look into direct billing or ePay as an option, please bring your health insurance card.
- If you are seeking treatment because of an injury at your workplace (WSIB) or a car accident (MVA), please help us prepare by providing your:
- Claim number
- Adjuster's name, number and email
- Health insurance information
What can physiotherapy help with?
We commonly treat: joint pain, muscle pain, weakness, balance, sports injuries, neurological injuries, ligament sprains, chronic pain, posture, joint restrictions, muscle strains, spinal disc injuries, post and pre surgical rehabilitation, degenerative spinal conditions, rotator cuff injuries, tendonitis, bursitis, shoulder dislocation, labrum tear, fractures, knee pain, ankle pain, vestibular conditions, muscle imbalances.
Will my insurance help cover the cost of my treatment?
We accept all common extended health benefit plans including Motor Vehicle Accident benefits and Workers Safety and Insurance Board coverage. We can bill your insurance company directly to minimize the amount of work you need to do (if your insurance company allows us to).
Will Physiotherapy Help my Condition?
In majority of cases Physiotherapy has shown to be significantly helpful. Research consistently shows that physiotherapy helps recover from most orthopaedic conditions and furthermore helps reduces the possibility of re-injury. After the initial assessment, we will be able to determine if physiotherapy will be helpful. If our treatment is not helpful we will promptly refer you for further testing. We closely work with our doctors at Akron medical, should you need further diagnostic imaging.
How soon will I get better?
We usually expect significant improvement within the first 2 weeks of your treatment plan. There are many factors that can effect your rate of recovery. Some of those are:
- Frequency of your visits
- Duration of your visits
- Adherence to your home exercise plan
- Avoidance of injury causing activity/position
- Duration of the condition (as a general rule, the longer you have had a certain condition the longer it can take to recover)